Monday, September 26, 2011

Change of Direction

Okay so it has been awhile to which I must apologize however in my defense with the start of school and homework and busier work schedule I have not had a lot of extra time. The good news is I am still 100% vegan and going strong. I really don't miss meat and the only time I have tried meat while vegan it tasted nasty and made me feel sick.

The change of direction is I read an amazing article about a book called Wheat Belly. Apparently the wheat we eat today has been so drastically changed that it is making us sick and causing us to get fat. As a newly minted vegan I have relied heavily on vegan breads to get me through. However after reading this article and now listening to the audio book I have not choice but to go Gluten Free. Great so now I am the Gluten Free Vegan as if I didn't get enough jokes already.

For those of you who are interested here is a link to the article:
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/on-the-evils-of-wheat-why-it-is-so-addictive-and-how-shunning-it-will-make-you-skinny/

I have to say this article explains a lot to me. Why as a vegan I still don't have the energy I would have expected to have.

One of the neat things about being vegan has been that it has forced me outside of my culinary box and I find that every night I am making something different for a meal. This weekend for a joke I made a vegan tofu "bacon" club sandwich. It was surprisingly great. Though I know I shouldn't eat those types of things very often it was fun and tasted exactly like a conventional club sandwich.

I am going to my parents house for Canadian Thanksgiving which is in two weeks. They are freaking out not knowing what to make me. I have just told them I will look after myself for the most part and just to make lots of salads. Though I have to say I made some awesome stuffed squashes on the weekend with quinoa, sauteed squash, onion, garlic, red pepper, spinach, chickpeas, lemon juice and parsley. It was quite good and I think Thanksgiving worthy.

I hope you all are doing well and going strong.

All the best

Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. Nava Atlas has an e-book of Vegan Thanksgiving recipes. I have it and it's great! Here is a link: http://blogs.poughkeepsiejournal.com/dishnthat/tag/nava-atlas/

    ReplyDelete