Thursday, July 28, 2011

Jonny O

I have now committed to being a Vegan Wannabe with Jonny O and the rest of the Wannabes. I have to say I have a fair amount of nervousness about the idea of becoming vegan for a month. I have a birthday in August as well as a week long trip to the US West Coast.

I have found that if you explain to people you are entering a contest as opposed to changing your lifestyle they are far more supportive. Somehow the idea of becoming has become a dirty word to a lot of folks. Maybe that is why Forks over Knives decided not to use it in their documentary.

I have flirted with vegetarianism and veganism in the past and have for the most part enjoyed it. The real difficulty I find is twofold: being prepared and business meals. My job requires me to do a fair amount of entertaining and business meals and most restaurants have very bad options when it comes to vegetarian meals let along vegan.

I am a good cook but often pressed for time between activities for children and work (I commute 2 hours per day). So planning and preparation will be the key. I am going to try to do a lot of the prep (sous chef) work on the weekends to help for the week.

I think Brendan Brazier's vegan supplies will become my best friend over the next couple of weeks. For those of you not familiar with Brendan he is a Vegan triathlete who has written a couple of books and established a company called Vega. Vega makes all kinds of vegan products that can help you survive in a hectic world. Check them out at myvega.com.

The D-Day of August 1st is fast approaching so I am enjoying my last vegan meals.....So what does this mean? I am giving up for the month of August:

Dairy
Meat
Refined white flour
Sugar
Processed food - other than things like raw crackers and Vega products

Exercise - up until this point I had always relied on my metabolism which seems to have escaped me thus the weight gain. I have exercised in fits and spurts with cycling being by far the most fun. However, I know that I have to mix this up with strength training. My goal is to exercise 5 times per week for a minimum of 45 minutes mixing cardio (Cycling) and P90X for strength training.

As well I am going to try to give up TV during the week and only watch programs on the weekend (shouldn't be too hard as it is August).

The goal of this blog is not only to hopefully inspire, but also be a diary including documenting cool recipes that I come across. Hopefully you the reader will find it of interest and of use.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like this will be a challenge for you, but I'm sure you can do it! As you say, preparation is key. I wish you the very best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I was nervous too, but now I'm looking forward to feeling better and losing a few pounds. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete